There are many people who claim to be experts in intervention but have limited experience and training. The sad truth is anyone can call himself/herself an interventionist. Dr. Terhaar is the only AISCB Certified Intervention Professional in the Inland Northwest. Do not risk your family’s safety and health. Anyone can also claim years of experience, so we recommend you ask for references that can verify a person’s experience conducting interventions.
Insist on a professional who:
- Has over 30 years of experience providing family interventions and credible professional references. See Dr. Terhaar’s credentials.
- Is a practicing licensed mental health counselor, marriage and family therapist, and certified chemical dependency counselor for over 30 years with experience in drug prevention, intervention, and treatment; Full Member of the Association of Intervention Specialists and a Board Registered Interventionist, using many strategies in helping families; awarded a rare dissertation research grant to study family intervention by the National Institutes of Health, National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) in 2001; educator and trainer of addiction professionals since 1983; state-approved marriage and family licensure supervisor since 2008; approved NAADAC Education Provider since 2006; author of research-grounded concepts, skills, and objectives for the articulation of family intervention; Graduate Fellowship Award, Eastern Washington University in 1979; Who’s Who Among Students In American Colleges and Universities, 1976-77; author of training curricula for school teachers, social workers, and drug counselors currently in use across the U.S. from Seattle to Georgia; author and manager of over $250,000 in grants and contracts.
- Is a Certified Intervention Professional.
Joe Terhaar, Ph.D., is a Certified Intervention Professional. One of the few in the Inland Northwest.
- Is a Full Member of the Association of Intervention Specialists.
Joe Terhaar, Ph.D., has been a full member for many years; one of the few in the Inland Northwest.
- Has a full knowledge of the research of what actually works in intervention, and has contributed to the body of research knowledge.
Joe Terhaar, Ph.D.,is a nationally recognized researcher of family intervention; funded by NIDA (National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health).
- Has read and contributed to the body of knowledge of professional intervention. Joe Terhaar, Ph.D., wrote two nationally recognized curricula to train professionals in intervention and co-occurring disorders.See: Test Your interventionist
- Participated in writing the intervention specialist credential certification exam. This is the test that will be used to test future interventionists pursuing credentialing as interventionists.
Make sure your interventionist is a full member of AIS and a Certified Intervention Professional.